The mission of C-BORD is to develop and test a comprehensive cost-effective TRL-7 solution for the generalised inspection of container and large-volume freight in order to protect EU borders, coping with a large range of container non-intrusive inspection (NII) targets, including explosives, chemical warfare agents, illicit drugs, tobacco, stowaways and Special Nuclear Material (SNM).
By developing, combining, trialling and assessing complementary NII technologies in a comprehensive cost-effective solution, C-BORD pursues four aims:
- Increase the efficiency in container non-intrusive inspection (NII).
- Reduce false negative and false positive alarms.
- Maximise effectiveness and reduce safety risks for custom agents when opening containers for inspection.
- Lay the groundwork for the standardisation of requirements and test procedures for evaporation based detection systems used to inspect large volume freight.
- Provide a general and multi-disciplinary C-BORD Framework for building comprehensive container inspection solutions, allowing stakeholders (customs officials, terminal operators, freight forwarders) to analyse key issues, fine-tune their requirements, and design and develop holistic solutions by fitting and assessing user needs against a list of general criteria.
- Develop a C-BORD Toolbox of TRL-7 first-line & second-line devices employing different non-destructive passive and active techniques:
Advanced Radiation Management / Next Generation Cargo X-Ray / Tagged Neutron Inspection / Photofission / Evaporation Based Detection
- Develop a unique Graphical User Interface (GUI), data fusion display, decision support software and common data format.
- Elaborate recommendations and tools for standardised tests for the different C-BORD NII technologies.